RE: [alfa] Removing the brake fluid from the reservoir

Bob -

Two choices ... I usually flush the system by bleeding it. I suck as much
fluid out of the reservoir as I can, refill with fresh fluid and repeat.
Then I bleed the system either using a vacuum bleeder to draw the fluid
through until it runs clear, or a pressure bleeder to push it through.

Lately, I've been preferring the pressure bleeding method over the vacuum.

The other is, you could remove the reservoir to clean it out, but you will
still need to bleed the system to get the fresh fluid through the lines and
calipers.

The reservoir is held to the master cylinder in two rubber grommets. A
somewhat firm, constant pull on the reservoir should pull it free. Just be
careful that whatever brake fluid remains in the reservoir doesn't splatter
all over the paint. Also, usually one end comes out before the other, so try
to pull it straight up, otherwise you risk damage to the reservoir if you
twist or bend the remaining nipple that is still firmly attached.

It will just pop right back in.

HTH,

Jeff