[alfa] oil light on...a bit long

Jack said:

Does the oil pressure warning light come on with just the ignition on? It's worrysome that the light stays on after startup. One of those gauges is lying . . . and my guess it's the gauge sending unit. The sending unit for the oil pressure warning light is on the left side of the engine, just aft of the oil filter.

I'd get or borrow a known quality mechanical gauge and see just what's happening. If the warning light is correct, you're extremely low in pressure..
I was trying to figure out what these sensors actually indicate or should indicate, since that would be a troubleshooting help.. only found a figure for the Bosch warning light sensor. The sensor had this number on it: 03441010414 (Bosch number) I found the part on some Bosch website that I can't even find now.. and wrote down "0.15 - 0.45 bar" (which translates to about 2.2 -6.5 psi) though I don't remember if that's a range that the switch could close at, or more likely, the range it stay's closed over.
I do remember reading a few places that the indicator light comes on when the oil pressure goes below 7 psi or so, so this tracks with the high end of that range. Anyway, if you're really going that low often, you have a dangerous problem..

Get the pressure checked, and then start checking your gauge wiring connections. (or, hopefully not, get the crank plugs put back in or the oil pump pressure regulator unstuck)

Jon
77 Spider