[alfa] Re: Alfetta bumper removal

Jim,

I had the same issue with my Alfetta. The problem is that the bumper absorbers, shocks, or whatever you want to call them are mounted at an angle on the bumper. Since they don't go into the mounting straight, they bind on the hole when you try to remove the bumper as a unit.
The solution I used was to loosen the nuts where the bumper mounts to the absorbers in order to get enough free play to pull out the bumper. About half of the studs broke on mine, so perhaps a generous helping of penetrating lube would be indicated. These nuts are a gigantic pain to get at and the studs are overly long. I cursed the Alfa engineers roundly on this one!

Mark Tamas
Eugene, OR
1979 116GT (x2)