Re: [alfa] Broken electronic toys

alfacybersite wrote:
What's in your tool box and are you happy with it?

Sorry, don't want to hear from the non-electronic guys. After all you
determined that 'merican's want their electronics and being 'merican...
What if I have electronic and mechanical? I have a 2" mechanical Starrett (at least 40 years old. It's an heirloom), a set (1,2 and 3") mechanical digital import mics ($70), and a Fowler 1" ($60) electronic mic.

I've found them all to be remarkably consistent and presumably accurate. I was surprised that my cheapo mechanical digital mics to give the same readings as my Starrett and electronic Fowler when measuring a 1" gauge block.

The electronic mic is my favorite (I like being able to switch between inch and metric too) and I'd have purchased a complete set if I could justify the cost. For my purposes the cheapo ones do the job, and their mechanical counters are a handy crutch.

The guys on rec.crafts.metalworking can give you much more educated (and often biased) opinions if you are looking for them.

--Mark
The Alfa Wiki: http://alfa.denovich.org