[alfa] Broken electronic toys

Not really toys, my very reliable color printer (Epson C82) quit
printing magenta and cyan the other day.

Unless someone has one they're really happy with as to quality,
reliability, is inexpensive, and would be compatible with a MAC, I'll
most likely get another of the same.

******

Though most of the stuff I print out is Alfa related, this 'toy' is more
so.

My vintage (about 16 years old - bought new) Starrett electronic caliper
quit working. Yes, I installed fresh batteries. Actually the unit ate
batteries, requiring a new pair about every three months. Other than
that it was dead reliable and super accurate in that it would read
2.0000" exactly when I measured a 2" calibrating rod.

Additionally it was the only one at the time which read to the nearest
ten thousandths of an inch. True, to do this one had to count hash marks
but all I wanted the ten thousandths measurement for was to determine if
it was, say for instance, closer to six than five thousandths.

No, I don't want one with a dial as I frequently use the inches to mm's.

The two I'm considering are a Fowler for $150 - accuracy 0.001",
resolution 0.0005" - and a no-name made in China ($100) one with a big
digital display on / off switch and has .0005" / 0.001mm accuracy.

Does this mean they both read to ten thousandth's of an inch and are
equally accurate?

What's in your tool box and are you happy with it?

Sorry, don't want to hear from the non-electronic guys. After all you
determined that 'merican's want their electronics and being 'merican...

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA