[alfa] Re: Possibly of interest to Paypal users

I know this topic is not officially acceptable on this esteemed digest but I thought enough digesters might be using Paypal to warrant this notification. I recently encountered a .pif virus attached to an "official" e mail ostensibly from Paypal. The return address is something like "users5@paypal". The attachment

www. paypal.com.pif

contains the virus

W.32Mail.J@domain.elidedus

acccording to my Norton Quarantine file. I did notice the sender's email address and reply address misspelled Paypal with an upper case I instead of the "l". I am not sure if this is connected but some time after this my computer attempted to access the internet while I was online. Norton Security blocked the access but it was persistent, whatever it was. Norton reveals my computer is virus free at present but I remain a little sceptical.

Cheers

and keep that antivirus up to date, our office computer was hit recently with a nasty little virus loaded into the Windows Temp file from whence it proceeded to infect a bunch of Temp files, seemingly at random.

Michael Smith
White 1991 164L
Original owner