[alfa] Auto Reliability

Eric Storhok wrote:
"You get in, turn the key, and it starts, every time.  No fiddling with
anything.  Nothing to fiddle
with, either."

Love Anthony Whites smart-ass reply: "So what do these people with these
new fangled cars *do* with their time?"

***

Unfortunately Mark Denovich's reply is all too true: "Work overtime to
pay for them."

*******

Dave De Rosier's comment hits on the one of the results of Detroit
dragging their heels lo those many decades: "May I suggest another
reason for improvement, the Japanese.  Starting in the 1970's, Americans
began to embrace these well built, efficient, and inexpensive cars.  Now
we hold up Lexus and others as the "standard".

*********

The handwriting was on the wall long before those commie, pinko's in
government mandated Detroit get it's act together.

Had Detroit's bean counters not recommended their bosses keep their
heels dug in as deeply and as long as possible to avoid making periodic
changes for safety, environmental concerns, and fuel economy, costs
could have been more easily absorbed - both by the manufacturer as well
as the consumer.

The Japanese, using an American's philosophy as to how to manufacture
quality equipment and become more profitable, was obviously lost on
Detroit. Since the Detroit philosophy is, "We ain't doin' nothin' which
doesn't add to the bottom line unless we can charge it back to the
consumer and / or get around existing safety and environmental laws,"
they've pretty much shot themselves in all of their feet.

So, Eric, not sure which quarter Ford uses as the end of their fiscal
year, but how did the bottom line look in their last annual report?

While Detroit doesn't have a corner on the 'how many (electric) motors /
electronic gizmos which people have done without for years can we add
and (hopefully) sell lots and lots of units', they just don't get it.

I don't like conspiracies either. However, if 'The Big Three' got
together and agreed to simplify, make vehicles considerably smaller and
less complex, along with the sticker price being considerably smaller  -
AND - telling the public that's what they're going to do, I actually
believe they'd do themselves a huge favor - along with Americans and the
entire world.

Essentially this would send all of the Detroit patriarchs rolling in a
frenzy in their graves - "We always gave, and still do, what the
consumer wants."  How about growing a conscience Detroit?

Oh sure, since Mercedes owns Chrysler as opposed to the other way
around, they'll always produce big cars with lots of unnecessary tricks,
but how many can afford a S?

Biba
commie, pinko living in
Irwindale, CA USA