[alfa] King of electrical gremilins

I can live pretty well with my 75Turbo that lights the battery logo
alarm lite every time I switch a turn signal. Been doing that for ages.

I can live pretty well with my 75 1.8IE that randomly tells me the tail
lights aren't working, even if they work pretty fine.
I can also tolerate that the starter motor fails running 1 time every
5 starts (to workshop later today)...

... but my mother's Alfa 75 1.6carb, which I sericed (oil, filters, sparkplugs) the past weekend is completely going crazy.

I try telling what's doing, see if you can help:

SOMETIMES (lotsa times) you turn the key, and the dashboard won't
light up. No check up lites, nothing.  If I turn further, the engine
starts perfectly and eventually the dashboard comes back to life.

SOMETIMES (lotsa times) I turn off the car, get the key out, key in
my hand... and the orange function led mounted on the rear window
deforst system (on my mother's car it's the upper button on the left
of the dashboard, looking at it from the seat) stays ON. Notice that nobody
has pressed the defrost button at all.  A wise moderate fist over the dash
board, or eventually around the fuse box, and it goes off.
I noticed, but I ain't sure, that IT DOES THIS FUNNY THING when the
dashboard didn't light up :-)

SOMETIMES (lotsa times) while driving, the dashboard goes off, eventually
the defrost lite turns on, and there's no way to make the turn signals
working, making the whole thing pretty dangerous.

Where shall I start having fun from? :-)

ANY clue, ANY suggestion, wizards and witchery included are WELCOME.

Luca

"When the chosen people
 grew more strong,
 the rightful cause at length
 became the wrong." (John Dryden, Absalon and Achitophel)

937, '87 Alfa 75 Turbo, '90 Alfa 75 1.8ie, '75 Benelli 500 Quattro, RM250
http://members.xoom.it/nodoubt73