[alfa] Re: Spica Idle adjust O-ring

Uh... ok, I thought I had things covered, but the washer is news to me..

15 years ago I don't remember one, though I never spent a lot of time with that part of the car.. and when I went over this on the new 77, I thought just the ring was needed. There is a flat section on the turning hose fitting, that seems to match up pretty well with the diameter of the ring, and it slides well after the surfaces were cleaned and greased.
But I have no detailed parts manuals/diagrams. Anyone know of the dimensions of whatever washer is supposed to be in there? And how neccicary do you think it is? I don't think its getting chewed up as is, at least on my particular engine..

Jon
77 Spider

Hi Guys:

Sorry, but I think you'd have a tough time finding a Spica idle o-ring at any hardware store, or NAPA. The part in question has a particularly fat cross section and small hole, more like a donut than a typical o-ring. As the "donut" is compressed in its housing, the hole becomes smaller, and that's what restricts the air flow into the idle circuit. It's also made of a fairly soft material, which allows it to be easily compressed, or to re-expand, as the adjustment is made.

It is also important to note that there is a special washer that fits between the o-ring and the adjuster screw, and without it, the o-ring will be shredded rather than properly compressed. The setup also seems to work much better if all the parts are lightly lubricated with silicone grease. Don't forget to loosen the pinch bolt before making any adjustments.

So, keep looking for the correct part, maybe checking with Centerline, Jon Norman, Wes Ingram, etc. until you come up with one. Best to order a couple, as after a few years the one installed will become hardened and unusable.

Regards,

Dean
Lutz, FL