Re[2]: [alfa] part source?

Not sure which part we're talking about.. the Spica car air idler adjustment is a thick O-ring, which is compressed a funnel shaped part the fitting, thereby varying the orifice. A close match would be appropriate.. never looked to find out if it's a common size or rare, myself, just paid the buck or so that IAP wanted.

A note on metric sized hardware and such at the mega hardware stores.. I was shocked to find an extensive metric selection at a Home Depo near my ex-work.. even the unusual "fine" threaded stuff like the suspension pan bolts... I thought "wow, guess I have passed unfair judgment on these guys.." I then went to my closer to home store, since they were short a couple, and found NO fasteners out of standard thread in metric, and had to go hunting for the last couple somewhere else!

Turns out, a chain like Home Depo will stock different stuff at different stores, driven by the demands of the neighborhood and of course the almighty Dollar, in what sells from that precious shelf space. So in my HD, less metric sales meant less metric variety.. and I had to go to a "real" industrial hardware supplier to get my last two spring pan bolts and nuts.
Moral to story... you might actually find things at places like that, but do some phone book walking around town (or get them to check their other nearby stores) first. Better to find the local hardware store that the professionals go to, though...

Jon

I bought one from IAP and  I realized that it was nothing more a ring than
can be had at your local auto parts store.  Take the old one and match it or
a good hardware store will also have an assortment.  Not a high temp on fuel
environment.

exactly. NAPA had a box of o-rings behind the counter and one of them
was a match for the o-rings where the outbound and inbound fuel lines
meet the fuel tank in my 164.

subsequently i noticed metric o-rings in a Midwest Fastener display at
the local ACE hardware that probably would have done just as well.

i'd say that the mega-home stores (Lowest, Home Despot) are probably
_not_ places to look for this; i've found the hardware at Home Despot
biased towards other things, and the little stuff that Midwest Fastener
is good at having is often missing or was once there but hasn't been
restocked.

richard
- --