[alfa] Re: Automotive reliability

--On Monday, November 24, 2003 5:03 AM +0000 alfa-digest <owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided> wrote:

When was the last time you drove your Alfa in a raging snowstorm?
A year ago yesterday.

I'm trying to get a copy of a photo of my grandparents, my mother and
her five sisters and three brothers in two touring cars. The photo was
taken in the Black Hills of South Dakota around the late teens or early
twenties.

When was the last time you took your nine... Okay, when was the last
time you took your family touring in a place similar to the Black Hills
in your Alfa?
Well my mother thinks that driving 10 miles to church in my Alfa is a pretty scary adventure... Seriously, I don't think I'd have a problem driving my Alfa into the middle of nowhere. I certainly feel more comfortable in a car that I've maintained rather than someone else's car that I haven't worked on.

Just to throw in an additional impediment, my Grandfather Peterson  was
crippled with polio since the age of seven. He drove one of the cars.

I love Alfas but am afraid to admit I wouldn't trust them enough to
attempt either of the above 'adventures' without having to worry
(unfortunately with good reason) the entire time. Yeah, the relative's
cars were newer (relative to the time) but the technology which has
become so much more advanced (tongue so firmly in cheek it hurts) makes
those old buggies seem like something from the dark ages (tongue's still
firmly there).
This is an interesting question. My GTV-6 is my only car, and I have complete faith in it (well slightly less lately, since the oil consumption has become completely ridiculous). If I didn't, I wouldn't own it, at least not in a daily driver, only car sort of context. I like to think that the Bosch analog EFI and electronic ignition (still has a distributor, though) give me an edge in terms of reliability over carbs, mechanical injection, and points ignitions. Then I read on the digest that some of you use Berlinas as daily drivers, and I have to wonder if the relative simplicity of something like Spica (simple it ain't, but what I mean is that a hidden diode can't burn out and leave you stranded in the Black Hills) would be more reliable than my L-Jetronic. It still seems weird to me that anything that old could be reliable. Which is a weird thing for me to think, considering that it wasn't too long ago that my parents had a '59 Jaguar as a daily driver, but although it was 100% reliable, it was never the first choice to get driven out of town, and never made freeway trips longer than a couple hours. It may have looked more like a museum piece than practical transportation, and leaked ATF like a sieve, but when I really think about it, the only thing that should make it less practical than my GTV-6 (from a reliability standpoint) was the fact that its carbs and ignition require more frequent maintanance. But I think a lot of this sort of thing is psychological--my gut feeling of impracticality is the same for the '63 Jag my parents had before the '59, and while it was also 100% reliable and got driven over 50 miles every day, I always remember it as being an old car that we never took long trips in. Then I realize that when they bought it in 1985, it was 22 years old. My GTV-6, which I don't hesitate to drive the 300 miles between school and home, was built in November 1981. Hmm... Perhaps the lesson I should learn from all this reflection is that any car can be bulletproof reliable as long as it's properly maintained.

Joe Elliott
'82 GTV-6