RE: [alfa] Bearing questions

> Ok, on testing there's definitely a tiny bit of play in the driver's
> side front wheel. Just enough to feel a "click", less than 1mm at the
> top of the tire. None at all on the passenger's side. This leads to
some
> (hopefully simple) questions:
>
> * IAP lists "inner" and "outer" front wheel bearings. I think what I
> pulled out while I was changing the rotors was the inner wheel
bearing,
> and I didn't even *see* an outer bearing. Was that the inner bearing?
> * Should both inner and outer bearings be replaced?
> * Should both driver's side *and* passenger's side bearings be
replaced?
> * Is it safe to drive at the moment?

See me previous post.

Before you go about replacing parts, however, you should try to adjust
the side that feels loose.  Remove the cotter pin (remove the grease cap
first), tighten the nut a little bit, and spin the rotor.  It should
spin easily, without resistance.  Don't overtighten that nut!  Get it to
the point where it feels like the side without the slop, put it back
together, and take it for a ride.

If it's just a little squeak, you can probably drive it, but I wouldn't
plan on any long road trips.  Keep in mind that it will get
progressively worse, and you run the risk of 'welding' a trashed bearing
into the hub.

If it comes to it, I'd do inners and outers on both sides.  Unless you
have service records, assume the last time they were done they were done
at the same time.  If you replace just one piece on one side, you're
liable to be facing this problem again with another bearing in not too
long of a time.

HTH,

bs