[alfa] Mystery squeak

After driving for a few minutes, a rythmic "squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak" can be heard, frequency of squeak noises responds to road speed changes (faster = squeaksqueaksqueaksqueak, slower= squeak ... squeak ... squeak). Turning the wheel increases the volume of the squeak, centering it reduces it. Disappears entirely when brakes are applied.

I thought this was dragging rear brake pads, but now I'm nowhere near so sure. Is this a symptom of bearing trouble?

Scott Johnson
71 1750 Spider

Well... that you're turning the wheel has an influence makes it sound more like the front brakes are dragging. Especially since it shuts up with the brake application.
I'd think any bearing related problems would be pretty constant with or without the brakes on. Not talking heavy braking, but if you just touch the brakes and it quiets down, it's definatly the pads squeeking.

Jon