RE: [alfa] Mystery squeak

Scott,

> After driving for a few minutes, a rythmic
"squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak"
> can be heard, frequency of squeak noises responds to road speed
changes
> (faster = squeaksqueaksqueaksqueak, slower= squeak ... squeak ...
> squeak). Turning the wheel increases the volume of the squeak,
centering
> it reduces it. Disappears entirely when brakes are applied.
>
> I thought this was dragging rear brake pads, but now I'm nowhere near
so
> sure. Is this a symptom of bearing trouble?

These types of problems are next to impossible to diagnose via e-mail.
Certainly the sound would appear to be coming from one of the four
wheels.  Having driven it, I think the first thing to do is to grab each
wheel and give it a good wiggle, which might give you an indication as
to whether there is any excessive looseness or not.

I'd put the car up on jackstands, and give each wheel a spin.  Loosen
the lugnuts first, so after you've done that you can remove the wheels
and perform a further inspection on each corner.

Personally, if you don't know the complete service history of the car,
I'd be inclined to just go ahead give it a good wheel bearing service.
You just did the rears, right?  One side or both?  Do the side you
didn't already do, and then do the fronts.  Now, with all four wheel
bearings serviced, that's one thing you won't have to worry about for
the next 50k miles or so..

While you have things apart, inspect the brakes all around, pull the
pads and make sure each and every piston retracts.

My philosophy on these older cars is not to chase individual component
problems.  On a 30 years old car, there is going to be a bit of slop
everywhere.  If one wheel bearing is about to go, then chances are
another is not far behind.  Same with suspension, if one ball joint is
worn, chances are others aren't far behind.  In fact, I've taken to
rebushing entire suspensions, along with replacing all of the ball
joints and such, whether they need it or not, and you'd be amazed at
what a difference it can make to an older Alfa!

HTH,

bs