[alfa] checking out a potential purchase

Hi all,
Well, as a distraction from my own car's problems, I'm going to go check out a potential purchase tomorrow. It's a late 70s spider that won't start. I was wondering what people would recommend checking on the car and what they would bring along - here's my list so far:

To check:
- under the oil and radiator caps for blown headgasket clues
- check oil level, smell the oil for gas smell to see if the spica is worn
- check for power at fuel pump and starter
- check for spark at plugs
- where do i check to see if i'm getting fuel? unbolt the hard lines from the spica pump? undo the fuel hose at some earlier point?
- of course, check general condition of body, interior, etc.

To bring:
- fresh battery / jumper cables
- multimeter
- wrenches, screwdrivers, etc.

My goal with this car is to buy it if it's straightforward to get it running. I don't want to put huge lumps of cash into it since I don't have huge lumps of cash.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Chris Keen
'77 spider
Los Altos, CA