RE: [alfa] Re: Re: Milano NON-power steering conversion

> Well, in my opinion, 3.5 turns lock-to-lock may be an acceptable
> steering ratio for a 1954 Buick, but it's too slow for a sports car
> (suicide knob anyone?). The Power Steering system out of a Milano is
> under three turns lock-to-lock, which makes turn-in much better and
> makes the car much easier to control on the twisty bits. I'm not alone

> in this. I've a book full of contemporary road tests of the GTV-6 from

> all over the world. Many of the reviews (but not all) mention the
heavy
> steering.  Steering effort might be a matter of taste, and "too heavy"

> a matter of opinion,  but I've owned a number of Alfas as well as
> several British sports cars including a Jaguar XK-140MC and if my
> memory serves, it seems to me that all of those had faster, lighter
> steering than did my GTV-6 before I fitted PS.

I'm going to guess that nobody is going to win this discussion, it's
probably a matter of personal taste.

That said, I'm with George.  In addition to the slightly quicker
steering response of the Milano, I've always been impressed with the
fact that the system doesn't seem to 'feel' like power steering when
you're at speed and having fun, yet provides useful assist when you're
barely moving and need it the most.

Jump back and forth between the two and you'll really appreciate the
Milano steering!  (At least I did).

In the words of JohnH, "to each his own".  I suspect neither 'side' is
going to be able to convince the other in this debate.  In some sense, I
don't care what words or arguments might be presented, I know which one
feels best to me.  I wouldn't expect my words or arguments to convince
somebody who prefers the feel of the GTV6 steering.

I would, however, suggest that anybody with a strong preference once way
or another at least try to drive good examples of either before arguing
too strongly (I think probably most of us have..).

bs