[alfa] Re: Re: Milano NON-power steering conversion

Well, in my opinion, 3.5 turns lock-to-lock may be an acceptable steering ratio for a 1954 Buick, but it's too slow for a sports car (suicide knob anyone?). The Power Steering system out of a Milano is under three turns lock-to-lock, which makes turn-in much better and makes the car much easier to control on the twisty bits. I'm not alone in this. I've a book full of contemporary road tests of the GTV-6 from all over the world. Many of the reviews (but not all) mention the heavy steering. Steering effort might be a matter of taste, and "too heavy" a matter of opinion, but I've owned a number of Alfas as well as several British sports cars including a Jaguar XK-140MC and if my memory serves, it seems to me that all of those had faster, lighter steering than did my GTV-6 before I fitted PS.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6

On Nov 17, 2003, at 8:52 AM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:17:35 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
From: jason paul frautschi <jpfrautschi@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Re: Milano NON-power steering conversion

Lalo-

having enjoyed both a Milano and a GTV6 over the past eight years, i would
have to counter the comments of George Graves with my own impression: i never
found the GTV6 steering to be too heavy, never, and i never found it to be
hard to park or unpleasant to drive. never. and i'm no weight-lifter! honestly
i think the GTV6's steering is nicely weighted for a performance road car. and
i did not find it to be 's-l-o-w'. on the other hand, to be fair, the Milano's
steering was also excellent, and very light; in comparison with other power
steering systems i've driven, it's a dream. but, if your steering is giving
you trouble, i think it's alright to consider the switch to the unassisted
setup (assuming it's a straightforward swap) and get rid of the extra weight
and worry of the power steering, as well as the extra load on the engine. i
really don't think you'll lose any tossability. in any case, i disagree that
power steering is an absolute necessity for a Milano; remember, only ~half of
the car's weight is on those front wheels...

- -jason frautschi
annapolis, md