Re: [alfa] Re: alfa-digest V9 #961

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 12:26:20 -0800 George Graves <gmgraves@domain.elided> wrote:
> Anyway, Richard, if I were at Lime Rock and you challenged me about the
> PS, I could whip-out my owner's manual and show where it was a factory
> option (even though mine was fitted later), So what would the rules say
> then?

your car would need to match something that might have come from the
factory. it's generally acceptable to retrofit a complete assembly, so long
as the result matches a possible car. note that dealer and importer
options don't count here; you can't add a spoiler to an ITB Alfetta GT that
was an add on that occured outside of the factory, for example.

the shop manual is the key; if your car matches something described in
the manual for a US market car, you're clear. if Alfa included a description
of a power steering option in the shop manual, but never actually shipped
any cars, you can get away with it as long as what you do matches
what Alfa described in the manual.

note that it's the shop manual that counts. the owner's manual has no
standing, as the SCCA General Competition Rules give it none.

unfortunately, the Alfa parts manuals for the older cars (105/115s, alfettas)
don't have any real standing in the SCCA, which is unfortunate because
they are a surer guide in my estimation. but since other companies didn't
provide such documents, the SCCA can't exactly require you to possess
them.

richard