[alfa] Re: Ron's Tirade & 24valve Update.

Bravo Ron !..just given me a business idea inspired by Edward Fox who
resprayed his little Alfa by the road in "The Day of The Jackal ".  How about
"Road Side Resprays Inc"..  On second thoughts, perhaps not.

My 24v 164 has passed its MOT test after being immobile for about two years,
having had an engine transplant, engine mounts, water pump, tensioner, belt
and all rollers, a/c condenser and three hoses, windscreen,  o2 sensor. AFM
(secondhand), Exhaust flexis (welded in), Clutch..and I'm sure there is more.

The economics went out of the window some time ago, but taking Rons point a
bit further, I decided rightly or wrongly to carry on with the project and
effectively throw the cheque book at it by entrusting it to two Alfa engineers
who came with high recommendations from many quarters. Even though I am about
to face a bill that will make my eyes water, I can't speak highly enough about
their knowledge and their general approach, and I suppose I am backing Ron  to
the extent that when running these cars it pays to know your own limits, and
to be prepared to pay up if your ambition outstrips ability. I am happy doing
various small jobs, but to be frank the 164 refurb took me rapidly out of my
depth and it was touch and go as to whether I should have broken the car and
made a bit of cash, or hopefully have a car that I can run for a few years
with most of the major jobs done (Hollow laugh).

Its pencilled in to be back on the road on 1st Dec, just as the TS is due for
its MOT Test..One damn thing after another eh! Assuming it does not leave me
stranded in deepest Lincolnshire on the run home I intend to give it some very
gentle miles whilst we get to know each other. Its a folly, but what the
heck.

By chance I met another 164 owner the other day in the yard of our local
plumbers merchant. His was a 1990 manual with 166k on the clock, and although
it had no rust the car needed  much TLC. He said he just put more oil in when
the engine got "a bit rattly" to use his phrase.Its only major failures had
been a head gasket, a rear wheel bearing, and the heating system 'went mad'.
He had owned the car since new and declared it to be the family pet. They had
kept the Alfa though other cars such as Mercs, a Lexus and a Mitsubishi Shogun
(4x4) had come and gone.  It sounded just fine when he drove off.

Alfas do strange things to people. Even Fiats wearing false beards seem to
have this effect. Somebody explain.

Tim Hancock   Boston UK

164 TS
164Super