Re: [alfa] Giulia Ti: "powerful synchromesh"

LOL Yes , and with a column shift that would be a trick ....what he didn't
say is for how long.... I could do it easy with a beetle, same with our old
Land Rover 88,  not bad with the Fiat 124, but with my 66TI it would give me
shivers up the spine.

G Nunez
Miami
66 TI
92 Peugeot 505 SW8
89 Peugeot 505 turbowagon

How things change.

One of the latest gems in my collection in old-sports-car stuff is a copy of
a UK magazine, Sporting Motorist, December 1963, which includes an in depth
test and analysis of one of the earlier Giulia Ti to make it to the UK.  The
test car still had the three-shoe drum front brakes, though the writer noted
that, since testing, Alfa Romeo UK had announced a four wheel disc brake
option.

Among the praise they had for the gearbox was the observation that "the
synchromesh is so powerful it is easy to change gears without using the
clutch at all."

Have we all but completely lost this skill?

Regards,
Anthony White
Wellington, NZ

George Nzqez