[alfa] Giulia Ti: "powerful synchromesh"

How things change.

One of the latest gems in my collection in old-sports-car stuff is a copy of a UK magazine, Sporting Motorist, December 1963, which includes an in depth test and analysis of one of the earlier Giulia Ti to make it to the UK.  The test car still had the three-shoe drum front brakes, though the writer noted that, since testing, Alfa Romeo UK had announced a four wheel disc brake option.

Among the praise they had for the gearbox was the observation that "the synchromesh is so powerful it is easy to change gears without using the clutch at all."

Have we all but completely lost this skill?

Regards,
Anthony White
Wellington, NZ