Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 09:33:32 -0500
From: "Jeff Greenfield"
Subject: [alfa] Stump the experts - Milano hot start issue?

Ok, here is one that I can't seem to figure out.

1987 Milano, car starts fine when cold and runs great under all conditions.
However hot starts are difficult and seem to be getting progressively worse.

Generally, the behavior is this: crank once, engine turns over and does not
start (doesn't even sputter).

Somewhere between the second and third attempt it will attempt to start but
not catch.

Usually around the fourth (sometimes third) attempt it will stumble to life,
kind of runs rough and slow for the first few seconds, and then all is fine
as if there was never a problem.

All the wiring in the EFI and Ignition system checks out fine, including all
the grounds. All the temp sensors for the FI seem to have the correct
resistances, ignition system is in good shape, fuel pump seems to run when
it should.

When I last checked the fuel pressure, it seemed ok and the system held
pressure, but I am starting to think it is time to go back and check this
again.

I've done a ton of work on this car, including rebuilding the engine
recently at which time I had the injectors blueprinted, not knowing what
they do when they take the injectors apart, I'm wondering if this problem is
the result of a leaking injector?

Any suggestions? I'm really at a loss and getting frustrated with this one .

TIA,

Jeff