RE: [alfa] maaco paint jobs

<The problem that many are now experiencing is that they can't find a shop
to paint a
GTV jewel, beater or otherwise. The three recommended body shops that I
personally have investigated are more interested in panel replacement and
collision
repair. There are few resources for restoration in my area.>

For those having trouble finding a shop to do a paint job/cosmetic
restoration I offer the following advice:

Most of the more common body shops are not interested in this type of work.
However, start hanging out at some local cruise nights, or find out where
the local hot rod and muscle car guys hang out. Most communities these days
have one or more very active organizations of this sort.

I know our little furrin cars a bit different than these hot rods and muscle
cars, and you may not have any interest in the hot rods, and their owners
may have little or no interest in what you have, but look at the paint jobs
on some of these cars, more often than not they are of the highest quality.
Ask around about who did them and where they were done and you'll get some
good recommendations. Most of these shops don't really care what kind of car
they are working on and will be willing to do this type of work on your
pride and joy. Most likely it will cost a bit more than the $99.99 Earl
Shive (Shibe?) special, whose motto was: "we'll paint any car any color for
$99.99".

Lastly, as has been stated many times before, and I can't say it enough
times ... Take the car apart yourself. Remove pretty much anything and
everything that could possibly be in the way. (lights bumpers, door handles,
any body trim/chrome, door gaskets, sill plates, etc) It allows the shop to
do what they do best, makes for a better job in the end as there are no tape
lines, and you won't have to worry about things being broken, lost, or not
assembled properly when all is done.

Jeff