[alfa] Re: Alfetta GT's

I think Alfetta GT's and Sedans for that matter are great cars.  I am currently on my 4th GT.  Here is my list of +'s and -'s

Plus:

-Cheap
-Wonderful balance great ride and handling
-Very attractive (at least in European trim)
-Great drive-train (when set up properly)
-Reliable (when cared for)

Minus:

-Cheap
-RUUUUUST!
-US bumpers and ride height are a joke
-Most us cars were very poorly prepared:  Poor state of tune, mis adjusted shift linkage etc.
-Poor quality interior (like all other Alfas of the 70's)
-Reliability issues due to poor dealer service and owner's inattention.

My personal experience, mostly with cheap, worn-out examples has been very good.  However, in each case, I went through the entire car and set it up properly before expecting much from the car.

Here is my prescription: Don't fear,  this will take more hours, dollars and blood than you expect.

1. Replace all rubber bushings, mounts, donuts etc.
2. Rebuild brake system and clutch hyd. system.
3. Check and replace ball joints as required.
4. Take the shift assembly apart, inspect and repair(minimize ANY slop) the joint (better yet, press in sealed bearing) between the shifter and shift rod (the rod between the trans and shifter).  Clean and lube the shifter ball (not the shift knob). Replace the rubber boot too.
5.  Lower the front, buy some lowering springs for the rear and some good performance shocks, Andy Kress (Performatek) has some sway bars and poly bushings.  Align the car.
6.  Throw away the bumpers (you can tell the police that you are doing "some body work".
7.  Perform a general service on the car fluids, filters.
8.  Re-time the cams to 74 specs.
9.  Get a euro exhaust manifold or headers.
10.  Make sure your exhaust is very free flowing.
11.  Re tune the spica to work with your changes.
12.  Have FUN.
Of course, you may have a few other items to fix but this perscription will go along way towards a great experience.

I have set up two Alfettas this way and the cars never let me down and were more fun to drive than a 115 GTV, if I dare say.  I drove these cars every day as my only car.  My own experience with these cars has a lot to due with the fact that I am investing, strike that!, spending over 30K on my current 76 Alfetta GT 3.0 project.

These cars had a much better reputation in Europe than here (just check out the the European Alfetta sites) this seems primarily due to the changes Alfa made to the USA cars.  Also, the cars seem to be raced (historic) more often in Europe.

I am certain they will never be worth much,,,,however,,,that has its benefits to those of us that want charismatic Italian car to use on a daily basis.