[alfa] Re: European Elk/Moose Test

CM Smith wrote: "SAAB actually conducts a Moose (Elk actually) collision test on all its models and SAAB insists each model pass this test even though not mandated anywhere. Moose are very big and you should try not to hit one. The 164, designed along with the SAAB 9000, should do very well in the Moose test.  Please note, directly relevant Alfa content."

The above posting seems to take off from another thread, which I wasn't able to identify, so bear with me if there is something I am missing. It is quite likely that SAAB conducts collision tests with an artifical moose, given that this is a major road hazard in its home market. However, what is usually known as the "elk test" in Sweden is a "dual avoidance maneuver" on a closed track. It simulates a two lane road where one has first to shift to the opposing lane to avoid a "moose" in one's own lane and then shift back to one's own lane to avoid opposing traffic. This test of the handling of the vehicle is administered by the automotive press and is not mandated by law. The Elk (or Moose Test) became internationally known in 1997 when the new Mercedes A-class rolled over during the test.

Sonny '91 164 S