[alfa] Spider castor bushings, plastic washers

Jon Pike wrote:

> ... new castor bushings.
>
> Talked to Centerline, where I got the new parts from, about the
> semi-mythical plastic washers that sometime show  up in parts diagrams.
> They replied that it depends on which castor bushing it is, whether they
> need the plastic washers.  Have yet to determine which I have.. plastic
> or metal outer shell tells you, I'm told.  I've got plastic, but haven't
> had the second half of the conversation yet.

> It looks like you have to go overseas to order these washers. So it
> would be good to know if I need to do some extra bush beating ahead of
time.

As I remember it, washers are used with bushings that have much less rubber
in them. That is, the bushings have fairly large void spaces in them,
perhaps
30% of total area? You should have received bushings designed to NOT take
washers, which have little void space and be mostly rubber. I don't think
the
shell material is important.

At one time there was a problem with the upper control arms being shipped
with
bushings that required the unavailable washers. The solution was to replace
the
bushings in the control arms with the bushings that were designed to not use
washers.

Rich Hirsch
St Louis MO