[alfa] Re: 2600 Spider

Graham:

The 2600 is a superb car which is often overlooked by Alfisti since, as you mention, they are more of a cruiser than a high revving tossable machine like the 750/101.  I have a couple of the 102 series Touring bodied Spiders which preceeded the 2600, but have helped some friends out on the restoration of their 2600's.  If the car you are looking at is complete and running, then a lot of your parts worries are alleviated.

The majority of the maintenance items you will need to keep the car on the road are easily found.  Many are shared with the other Alfas of the period.  You may have to look to some of the German, English, and Italian vendors for some items, but as has been pointed out here in the past, it is really not a problem.  The cars are actually very robust and strongly built, and a properly setup one will go on forever.  My local Alfa mechanic, upon seeing the rear axle/diff of one, stated that it looked like it belonged on a 3/4 ton pickup.

Beatle in OZ provided the links to the 2000/2600 Digest and the Club 2000/2600 International, which are great in the same way that this digest is great.

Contact me off-digest if you want to discuss anything further.

Arno Leskinen
National Concours Chair, AROC-USA
Gilbert, AZ
115