[alfa] Duetto vs Spider Susp Geometry

Paul Bayly / Beatle asks: "I'm wondering if swapping to the 1750 (for a
1600 Duetto) componentry is worthwhile.   If indeed it's possible, would
the addition of the sway bar alone suffice on a road car ?  Am I
thinking too much !"

**********

I'm considerably less knowledgeable regarding the 1600 Spiders than the
1750's, but am virtually positive the 1600 has (or should have) a front
sway bar. However, it doesn't have a rear sway bar, but the 1750 does. I
installed a stock Alfa sway bar on client's '67 vintage race car. Not
too difficult.

I was hired to complete this car (from a shell) and suggested to the
client he take his car to a particular suspension shop after it was up
and running. While the cars are nothing alike, the fellow who told me
about this shop was vintage racing a Formula V. The shop specializes in
off-road race vehicles. However, after they thoroughly analyzed his
suspension set-up they did some of the work and he completed the rest.
He said it was like night and day as to handling.

I would try to get as much information regarding both suspensions, but
try to find a shop who is knowledgeable in setting up suspensions. I'm
assuming you're not racing your Duetto, but suspect a good shop could
advise you as to what would improve your handling. If you had print-outs
from parts catalogues and photos of a 1750 suspension, this might help
them determine what the best set-up would be.

I'm being a bit old-fashioned here in once again suggesting someone
'take it to an expert', but feel it is quite possible these cars, with
relatively minor modifications, can be made to handle quite well. Yes,
many owners feel they are great handlers, but do feel they have a
tendency to get quite tail happy at times and I personally feel
considerably less secure (handling wise) in a Spider than in my (F)
Alfetta GT.

I did a very eye-ball alignment on the front suspension and suggested to
the client to at least take it to an alignment shop before racing it.
Don't believe he did. He crashed the car first time out. The rear came
out and he ended up with both the front and rear damaged. I felt
terrible, but wished he hadn't been so stubborn.

I feel the rear suspension is the weak point and heavier springs and /
or sway bars are Not the answer.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA