[alfa] Speedo sender question

I need some help from the digesters please: My 73 spider speedo is not working. It has a new cable and spinning the cable with a drill motor will operate the speedo, but the cable is not being spun at the gear box. Removal and inspection of the "sender" reveals nothing that I can tell. While holding the sender, turning the gear at the end of it does rotate the cable. The only question in my mind is the condition of the gear on the end of the sender. It is slightly cupped in the center of the teeth, but I have a feeling that is normal. There is plenty of tooth left on the gear anyway. Does anyone have any words of wisdom.......is it likely that anything inside the gearbox is worn out or broken? Am I missing something apparent? Thanks in advance!
Randy Long

Does the sender turn by hand when it's mounted on the transmission? If not (i.e. the sender teeth mesh with whatever drives it inside the gearbox) you probably have a end of cable not being engaged in the sender problem.

Good luck..

Jon