[alfa] Just Where The Hell Do You Think That Crank Pulley Is Going?

Whilst it has always been a bit of a battle, was removing the front
crank pulley this past weekend to replace the front seal...so I thought.
Would not budge. So yesterday I bothered the forge die maker machinist
across the way for his longer wrench. He wasn't busy so came over and
actually did the wrenching. He's a pretty good sized guy and he couldn't
budge it. So with a couple of Good Whaps on the end of his socket wrench
with a five pound hammer, it reluctantly broke free.

After he left with wrench and front pulley (more anon) I began examining
the threads. Someone didn't want it to budge - Ever. They didn't merely
add a good dollop of Loctite, but apparently a good dollop of JB-Weld.
Didn't soften with lacquer thinner and a right angle awl couldn't budge
the stuff in the threads. Had to reinstall the flywheel so I could turn
the crank and using jeweler's files began slowly filling off the gray
epoxy. Not easy since the cast in Spica belt shroud is in the way to
really get to it. And, no, I don't happen to have a 20 mm x 1.5 die - do
you? Couldn't get a wrench on it anyway because of the cast in shroud.

An hour later I could get the 'nut' on - no, not the original, it too
was gunked up, but a spare. I'm sure the reason last mechanic went to
these extremes was because the little tab was broken off. BFD.

By days end I had installed a new front crank seal (that first whap is
the most critical), nicely painted pulley which had magically lost
weight by shedding an unnecessary pulley, and all went back together as
intended.

Think about it. 145 pounds even without the aid of thread 'dams' and
even without brand spanking new crank pulley nut washers, ain't going
anywhere. What if it loosened up? First there is a keyway so it
certainly isn't going to rotate. Most likely you'd hear some clanking
before there was any real damage. If you don't stop to investigate
clanking, can't help you.

ALWAYS assume when wrenching a car back together that you are going to
have to remove the item again...possibly in a matter of miles (right
TJ?). Logic it through - just as I pointed out with the front crank
pulley - how critical is it that this bolt / nut should Never budge a
nanomillimeter?

I feel the same way with lug nuts, but will admit I possibly error on
the light side (roughly 45 pounds). However, in many decades of driving
and working on cars, have never removed lug nuts which I had installed,
and found them to be loose.

Steering wheels: Sure hear lots of individuals ranting about how they
can't get their steering wheel off, but have Never heard of one coming
off in someone's hands.

What is the most abused as in stress, heat, and extreme movement, is one
of the most critical parts, and (leaving out major hot rodders and racer
boys) the nut virtually never falls off? I'd suggest the bolts and nuts
on the big end's rod cap - it's bloody 36 to 39 foot pounds for the 2000
engine! Those eight nuts and bolts are virtually holding the
reciprocating parts of the engine together as you casually take it up to
redline (or beyond?).

Except on earlier Alfa engines the nuts don't require a special washer,
cotter pins, Loctite, or even those little pilddley-ass extra 'lock
nuts' used on the mains. Additionally, the nuts are machined down where
they mate with the big end which means there is a very small area of /
for friction.

You've been warned. I'm watching you...

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA