[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V9 #909

I've been sort of half reading the run on the parts washer. I've had the same
parts washer in use now for more that 6 years without any problems with the
unit itself. I did got to another auto parts store and buy the flex brush about
three days after I got the unit but other than that it is as new. I use a
mixture of kerosene and a parts cleaning solution which significantly reduces the
flammability. It does smell, but only when open. The drawbacks I have found
are the solution I use is very sensitive to water, even the smallest amount
will cause the cleaning solution to break apart (the kerosene and the solution
separate like oil and vinegar) and then need to be replaced and the amount of
gunk in the cleaner itself. The cleaning solution is very effective, almost as
good as the commercial cleaner we have in our machine shop at work, but the
grease and grunge removed from the parts ends up in the tank. I have tried a
couple of simple filters with only limited success and since disposal of 11
gallons of dirty flammable parts cleaning solution isn't cheap, tossing it isn't
really an option. So far, the most successful solution has been to gently scoop
out the sludge every few months.
A word of caution. I bought one of the gallon cans of dip type carb cleaner
(as sold in P.B., A.Z., etc.) to clean small parts. GREAT product, it will
actually strip carbon off of a piston if you soak it... Only one problem... The
solution must be slightly corrosive(?) because after about 18 months of sitting
in my garage one morning I discovered a puddle of cleaner on my workbench and
a pinhole in the can... I now have quite the growth in the particle board top
of my workbench.
Thomas A. Gonnella