[alfa] voltage regulator question

Gentle Alfisti,
I've noticed that the battery is not charging on the spider, and the engine
quits if I disconnect the negative battery terminal.  The alternator light is
not lit at a high idle, lights-up below 750 rpm. It seems to me that the
alternator should be producing enough juice to run the engine without the battery. I
took a spare alternator to the local parts franchise to try their testing rig
and the spare was making enough energy to peg the gauge "open field", that
is, without an attendant regulator. For my own understanding, the battery is the
first order voltage regulator for the cars' systems. The regulator module
controls the amount of power that the alternator makes, in response to the
battery's charging requirements. Is this right? Is there a way to trouble shoot the
regulator?

It is disconcerting to say the least to be out at night and notice the
headlights beginning to dim. Thanks, Digest.
modelle in somers point