[alfa] Setting differential backlash?

I am planning to replace the differential of my 164 with one from a Lancia. Lancia uses the same transmission, but with an external viscous coupling limited slip.

I have the option of getting the work done in a facility that has Alfa expertise, but seems unfamiliar with the process of using shims and measuring tools to set the backlash of a differential. The Alfa and the Lancia differentials are supposedly manufactured to the same dimensions, and I will be using my existing ring and pinion gears, so my question is: in this situation, is it likely that I can just have the differential replaced using the old shim(s) and be OK? Should I get new bearings and races while I am at it?

Sonny
91 164 S