[alfa] Facet fuel pump was Biba's...etc.

Yesterday I decided to limit my bothering Digesters to botthering A
Digester - Brian Shorey.

I agree with Brian's suggestion, but like myself bought his Facet eons
ago and has no idea of it's 'output' (more anon).

Perhaps some of you have purchased yours more recently and know what
it's output is. If so, would like your feedback.

(Letter to Brian): Not sure what to make of Paul Ristow's comments:
"Biba,  Sight glasses
on vehicles I have worked on have never been totally full.  The bubbles
and different levels you are seeing seem to be in all I have seen. If
fuel pressure and volume are within specs  I would look elsewhere for
your problem."

I have no spiffy way of knowing whether my pressure and volume are
'within spec'.

My thinking goes like this: Engine uses gas and fuel level might go down

slightly in bowel / bowels. Assuming one is not going balls out or
electric fuel pump is not 'to spec' it should immediately fill bowels
back up. Yeah, I could see a small variation in the 'sight glass'
depending whether I cut the engine before it filled up the bowels or was

in the process, but should be a minuscule amount. This might sound
stupid, but would think fuel, like most everything expands with heat.
Shouldn't the sight level always be full when hot and be less so when
it's cold out?

Someone suggested I check out electric fuel pumps at J.C. Whitney. They
showed only three pumps, two of them Facets. One was VW specific the
other was more universal. I got my Facet at a VW hot rod place assuming
a Facet's a Facet. Turns out there are numerous models for VW's but they

all put out 2 to 4 psi.

Does this mean the pressure varies from one pump to the next that much?
Since the pumps are sealed, I certainly don't see any way they can be
adjusted.

The slightly more expensive Facet (looks identical to the VW one) is
$42- and comes in four models ranging from 1.5 - 3.5 psi - 25 GPH | 2.5
- 4.5 psi 30 GPH | 4.5 - 6 psi 35 GPH | 7 - 9 psi - 45 GPH.

I was going to get the 2.5 to 4.5 one, but then thought, what if it only

puts out 2.5? Should I go for the 4.5 - 6 psi one? I do have the Fuel
King filter with a (minimal) regulator on top.

I'm wondering if with the VW Facet pump that perhaps after seven or so
years is getting a little tired, the wiring to the pump is doing the
same, and perhaps the (year old) fuel filter is beginning to get a bit
clogged.

My thinking is to fix those problems before going the dual pump route.
Replace the pump, filter, and work through the wiring connections. Yes,
battery is in the rear, but I have a thing against running wires
directly off batteries. I always remove them from the cars I restore
(though the batteries are almost always in the engine bay) and re-route.

However, I'll be the only who sees it should it seem important to do.

Bottom line which pump would you get (assuming for the moment you're
running just a single pump) for your problem Webered street car?

Thanks for hanging in there with me,

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA

Brian suggested the 4.5 - 6 psi and adjusting down as needed.