[alfa] Dial gauge for tdc

Considering the majority of you avid do-it-yourselfers probably have ten
times the tools I do, this is one area I can proudly hold up my tool,
along with extender kit and declare, "Mine's better than yours."

About 20 years ago I needed to find TDC on an engine. While no one
mentioned this sophisticated method, prior to new tool it was get to
approximately TDC, put screwdriver in #1 hole and when screwdriver quit
'growing', then after wiggling back and forth a wee bit, felt I'd pretty
much found TDC.

Bought my 'tool' from the Snap-On guy. It was made by Central Tools,
Inc. of Cranston, RI (part #6487). I'm guessing I paid around $65 or so
back then. Main kit came with a dial gauge (didn't have one) and two
sparkplug hole threaded sleeves. Excluding threads, they're each 1.25"
long, with one having a set screw, the other being an extension. My
Extender kit (part #6484) also consists of two threaded sleeves but for
the smaller size sparkplug hole, along with four extensions which screw
into the dial indicator's shaft - 2 @ 1", 2", 3".

Actually I'll be using it later this aft.

Screw in appropriate threaded tube after getting TDC close, (believe I
use) 3" extension, drop into machined center, angle as desired, tighten
set screw, turn dial to zero, then turn engine with large crankshaft
socket. I then readjust zero accordingly. Once close, I then close in
tight by moving a minuscule bit clockwise and note when dial moves from
zero. Then do the same by going counterclockwise. Admittedly there is a
bit of interpolation going on here, but I then split the difference. I
partially agree with Ed Lutz that using a degree wheel (actually own
one) but it's the 'attach degree wheel - no mention of how to do so so
that it is perfectly centered)...however if you did and also used a dial
gauge, then this would remove the minuscule interpolation needed with
'just' using the dial gauge.

I have yet to see a pointer that was within 3 degrees (either before or
after) of TDC. I've watched people go to great effort to get the cam
timing spot on using the 'factory setting' for the pointer.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA