[alfa] RE: using bimmer afm's on our 6 cyl alfas

Stretching the small hose will restrict airflow.   Been there, done that.
Adding the 3" air tube made a world of difference, albiet up top.   The BMW
AFM puts out the exact same voltage as the stock Alfa AFM as do all the
AFM's on Bosch mass air systems.   Turning the wheel up doesn't require any
complex calibration.   It takes an AFR meter or VOM to get you to stoich if
that's where you want/need to be for emissions or 12:1 for a high
performance application.  The wheel method has been recommended by trusted
Alfa people like Storhok and Steck so I'm pretty confident it's the best
compromise of ease and performance.

The L-Jet box just isn't worth messing with when something home-buildable
like a MegaSquirt is cheap and requires less electronic skill than trying to
reverese engineer the L-Jetronic.   And you get to lose the AFM completely.
It's easier to set up an Alpha/N system on a V6 than a speed/density.
Almost a requirement when you have high overlap cams like I do and it idles
like a dragster.

The Megasquirt info is at http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html.  Build it
yourself for $100.  Don't pay high prices from vendors that try to pass this
off as their own creation.  Bowling and Grippo have a wonderful design.

-Peter