[alfa] re: using bimmer afm's on our 6 cyl alfas

peter, & all,

ya won't defeat the purpose of the bmw afm w/stretched stock hose - *if* ya also use the bmw's intake piece, w/the ~37% larger (taller) intake opening,    then modify the top of the stock airbox lid, so it covers the bmw's afm intake.  a machine shop did mine up for $70; if ya have the equipment, this would be an easy diy.

personally, i'd rather use the stock lid, w/the taller bmw afm intake opening blocked off, (the bottom two screws line up perfectly w/the stock airbox), than using a cone filter w/three inch opening, unless it's shrouded to get cool air from outside the engine bay.  (remember the similar discussion of stock airbox vs webers for the 4-cyl alfa's?)  i'd imagine that making a good shroud for outside air would be a *lot* more difficult than modding a stock airbox lid.

on my 3.0 gtwe6, i ran my bmw afm w/the intake blocked of for a couple months, before i found a second airbox lid to modify, & even thus restricted, the throttle response improvement over stock was definitely worthwhile.

ymmv,

doug s.

George et al,

You'll defeat much of the purpose of the BMW AFM by stretching the stock
hose.  The BMW AFM has a 3" inlet and outlet.   The Alfa has a 2.5" outlet
to a 3" throttle inlet.   That little input from the air box, even bored out
with a Dremel creates restriction too.   You can get a generic 3" air tube
and a 3" K&N cone filter to use the maximum airflow of the BMW AFM.