[alfa] Re: DOT5

Richard Welty wrote:

>easy, there's water in the air. air gets into the system simply because as
the
>brakes wear, the additional volume created in the hydraulic system has to
>be filled somehow; it comes from the reservoir, which then gets air from
>outside.

Richard is right.  What enquiring minds want to know is:  Why didn't Alfa
use MC cap gaskets that have the bellows-like rubber diaphragms that permit
the MC fluid level to drop without creating a vacuum or permitting the
outside air (via the cap vent) to contact the fluid?  Even my '89 Plymouth
Acclaim parts chaser has the bellows gaskets for its MC caps ("Extra Care In
Engineering"??).
Does anyone know of a source for such gaskets that fit the Alfa MC reservoir
caps?

Bert Neily
Raleigh, NC, USA
'84 GTV6 with moisturized brake fluid.