[alfa] Intermittent starter failure - any ideas?

Two times last weekend, the starter on my GTV failed to respond in any way
when I turned the iginition key to start it.  No "click", no slow turning,
no nothing.  Both times this happened, the car was fully warmed up.

In both cases, it took several tries before the starter responded and the
car started just fine.  As an aside, the two friends I was driving with were
in a Maserati Ghibli and a Lambo Espada, which of course ran flawlessly.
How embarassing.

Anyway, before I go through a full diagnostic search through the wiring this
weekend, is this symptom typical of any common 115 failure?  The wiring
diagram appears to show a separate starter relay, and I thought that might
be a likely culprit.  I'm not at all sure where this relay is located.

Thanks,

Dean Mericas
Ann Arbor, MI
1975 2000 GTV