[alfa] re: GTV tire size

Jim Hart asked about GTV tires widths and proper rim widths for those
tires, mentioning that "IAP recommends the 185-70-14's for 14x6 wheel,
it seems to me the tires I have would be slightly narrow on a 1/2" wider
wheel".

    I'm happily running 185-70 14 tires on my '74 GTV 2000 on 6.5 inch
wide ATS wheels, so your 6 inch wheels should be no problem.  If you
look at the Yokohama web site as an example
(http://www.yokohamatire.com/utrimwidth.asp), they have a section on
what rim widths are appropriate for given tire width/aspect ratios.  I'm
at the upper limit of rim width for this tire size, but it works fine,
and I don't want to go any wider since there's plenty of grip already
(and I love the ATS wheels, so I'm not moving to a narrower rim).
    You're right that 14 inch performance tires are getting pretty tough
to find these days.  Can't help you there.  A search of the digest
archives should turn up some leads (do a search that will turn up Spider
tire selections as well, as they will be generally applicable for the
GTV too). My best recollection is that many people are using a 195-65 14
now, as they're a close match.

Jeff Matson
Harvard, MA
'74 GTV 2000