[alfa] '91 Spider speedo failure

Hi all,
I'm trying to debug my speedo. Both the odometer and the speedometer are
dead. They were intermittent for a while, and then died completely, so the
failure is some component common to them both, so most likely not an
instrument cluster failure. I suspected a bad connection (oxidized
connector)
Someone mentioned checking voltages at the transducer, and apparently
there is a spring that goes to the transducer and this can fail too. Any
suggestions? The shop manual is worthless.

thanks,

Karl