[alfa] V6 cylinder head held up by cylinder liners -- problem solved

I wrote:

>> I'm replacing the head gaskets on the 2.5 '87 Milano and I've run
into a problem. The cylinder head doesn't compress the gasket properly.
With the head gasket and cylinder head in place and torqued down to
56 ft-lbs., there is a small gap between the top of the gasket and the
bottom of the cylinder head. This gap is about 1mm wide and runs all
the way around the cylinder head. The gap is large enough that when
coolant was added to the overflow bottle, the it actually poured (!)
out of the gap. <<

>> In examining the block and cyl. head, the problem appears to be
that the head is not seating properly because the cyl. liners are
sticking up too high. When I measure the cylinder liner protrusion
above the block, it is about 1.5mm. Workshop manual says this SHOULD
be 0.01mm - 0.06mm. (My measurement was done with hold-down clamps
in place and torqued to 10 ft-lbs.) <<

To which ethan schartman replied:

>> i would bet that the original flame-proof rings are still on
the liners. the v6 at some point had a multipart head gasket that
involved a separate ring on each liner to seal the combustion
chamber. <<

To which I replied:

>> I know the early GTV6s used a multi-part head gasket. Perhaps
the early Milanos did also, but my '87 Milano did not... the
cylinder liners have nothing on top of them.<<

As it turns out Ethan is right and I was wrong (so what else is new...).

The liners did have the original flame-proof rings on them.
Here's my justification for thinking the cylinder liners were "naked":

1) I thought I had the updated head gasket since the Milano head
gasket lasted 15 yrs and 108k miles. I had read that the early
gasket was much less reliable.

2) I expected the "separate rings" to resemble washers. The rings in
reality are essentially caps that had to be pried off and to my eyes,
they looked like part of the liner casting.

3) I really thought the head gasket I removed had the rings as an
integral part of the gasket.

In any case after the rings were removed, the cyl. liner projection
was within spec (essentially flush) and the head gasket now seals.

Thanks Ethan!

Rich Hirsch
'87 Milano (problem child at moment)
'78 Spider