[alfa] Spider just quit

Believe this has come up before, but have just been perusing my Pat
Braden Owner's Bible. Note: I'm assuming the '78 Spider has an
additional in-tank fuel pump. To capsulize Pat's comments: Apparently on
only some Spica units and apparently only on Spiders and on hot days,
the pump compresses the gas which heats it and since excess fuel is
dumped back into the gas tank the tank can't cool quickly enough, the
fuel boils, leans out the mixture, and causes the car to stall. After
cooling down the car will run again. Alfa's fix was to install
submersible 3 psi pumps to feed the main pump.

I'd start by removing the fuel sender unit which (again I'm assuming)
has the 'auxiliary' pump and check it out by hooking it up (momentarily
- don't overheat) to the battery or battery charger. The motor is fairly
quiet so turn the music down. I'd also check out the insides of your
tank while you're there.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA