RE: [alfa] 164 fire and couple of final thoughts. (WRX)

My son had a 2002 WRX until last week when the dealer bought it back for his
full (upside down) balance owing, after much negotiation with interested
parties. The car had been originally driven for about 24,000 miles by a
Subaru of America VP without being registered, and was sold by the dealer as
new by virtue of no prior registration. They failed to divulge that it had
been wrecked (not severely) and repaired, the VP had modified or replaced
the turbo with a different one, and it had been through two clutches and one
transmission, Subaru weak points. When the car needed a third transmission
and a clutch shortly after the purchase, the dealer was trying to refuse as
owner abuse. It appeared the original non-registered owner may have raced
it. At least once, it died on the highway and had to be towed to the dealer
when it failed to start again, a computer problem. Repetitive rattles were
patched with duct tape.

I hope you have better luck, but I wouldn't trade my 72 Spider, which has
never failed me in the past several years, for a new WRX straight across.
Sure it was fast and nimble, but reliable or cost effective? No way!
Purchased for over $26,000 (with phony insurance and add on costs) and worth
less than half that after a few months of mechanical nightmares, this WRX
was not a world class substitute for a 164 or a Studebaker for that matter.
It will never be considered a classic. How fast do you want to spend?

Richard