Re: [alfa] Kumho tires - DIY Rear Brakes on Milano? How hard? Special tools?

Richard,

I replaced the Yoko AVS Intermediate on my Milano with Kumho Ecsta 716, mainly, because of the positive reviews on the TireRack site and the fact the were dirt cheap, I compared them to the Dunlop D60 A2, which I liked OK on my old Audi.

I was really disappointed at first, they were like marshmallow, really killed the steering, the sidewall was really soft, perhaps due to the H vs V rating on my Yoko, but I found a post on the Miata list that claimed they need to have around 36 PSI to work right and lo and behold, this really transformed the tires. Funny enough the ride quality did not suffer at all compare to the Yoho AVS at 30 psi, must be the difference in the tire construction.

They worked OK in the dry, not as good as the AVS but I really don't care about the difference except during braking, and they seem really good in heavy rains, I have Hakka 10 for snow so I don't really care about snow performance.

At something like $36 per tire, a great deal. I'd recommend them as cheap commuting tires.

- S.

p.s. FWIW, I am not so gung ho about absolute adhesive on the street, so long as the tires break away predictably, I really like sliding around.

hmmmm. i've been looking hard at the Kumho Ecsta line for my next round of
tire purchases. there is an all season in that line, the prices look good,
and the reviews on tirerack.com are generally positive.

richard