[alfa] Berlina Spica adj. w/an O2 sensor

First I'd like to officially introduce you to the Berlina that I've owned for
about 8 months now.  It was previously the Kathey Jo of Idaho car that was
sold to Terry Akins of Alexandria, VA and driven from Seattle to VA by his
friend Bryan Carter.  Some of you digest old timers will remember that
adventure from a few years back.  After some initial tinkering and repairs the
car is serving pretty well as a semi-daily driver but gets abysmal gas mileage
(19mpg/hwy).  I've tried the method of adjusting the mixture solenoid until
the RPMs no longer increase and then backing off 3/4 turn but it's obviously
running too rich.  Valve adj., timing, pump timing and point dwell are all
correct.  I figured my next step was to take it to a shop that could put an
oxygen sensor in the tailpipe and adjust it properly but low and behold I've
got an O2 sensor in my down pipe!  Sometimes previous owners can do nice
things!  I traced the wire from the sensor up to a 4-pin circular connector
under the dash.  I'm assuming this was for one of Wes Ingram's mixture meter
devices or something similar.  With the car warmed up and idling (about 750
RPM) I get about 400mV from the sensor.  If I hold the RPMs at 2500 it creeps
up to about 900mV.  Anybody have an idea what I should try to adjust for?
Yes, I do plan on getting Wes's Spica book (I've got the AROC notes and an
Alfetta Spica manual but I'm still at the beginning edge of the Spica learning
curve).  I understand that the revised version is now available - can anyone
confirm this? Thanks.
Bill Sinclair
Hampton, VA
'73 Berlina