[alfa] Re:Quadraflows

In alfa-digest V9 #860 John Pike writes:

On the Quadraflow comments about finding the Spica box better.. I was
curious where the increase was on that dyno run?  High end,  midrange?  (if
you remember such details)

*********************************

If memory serves, the HP increase was somewhere in the neighborhood of
5500-6000 RPM while power began tapering off once it got past 6500. This was on an
Improved Touring, i.e., stock, engine with a .040 overbore. I can get the
actual results, if needed.

Three or four HP doesn't sound like much, but does make a difference in IT
racing where the cars are evenly matched and you're trying to pull that pesky
BM* 2002 down the front straight. However, for racing, much can be done to
improve performance just by removing unnecessary stuff from the car and getting
down to minimum weight. Right, Richard?

I agree, it would be interesting to perform a series of dyno tests using the
Spica air box and comparing stock vs. K&N filters with other intake systems
like modified Quadraflows with custom air boxes. Intellectual curiosity (and
money) aside however, I have to question the necessity to perform such
modifications on street driven Alfas where one rarely winds it out to redline just to be
able to get to the next stoplight.

Several years ago I took the advice of Wes Ingram and Tom Sahines regarding
the modification of street-driven 2 liter Alfas and have been extremely pleased
with the results. Low end and midrange power is greatly increased over stock
which makes the car much more tractable for both highway and back roads
driving -- not to mention passing slower vehicles on two lane highways.

As far as the Spica air box is concerned, I like it, it works just fine and I
appreciate its originality.

As John Hertzman is fond of saying, enjoy yours.

John Thompson
Sylmar CA
1974 GTV