[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V9 #857 - Refinishing Magnesium Wheels

In a message dated 10/8/2003 3:24:32 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 15:55:15 -0500
> From: "Deno S. Gualtieri" <deno@domain.elided>
> Subject: [alfa] Refinishing Magnesium Wheels
>
> I have an older set of GTA wheels that need refinishing. There are
> multiple layers of paint on them. I brought them to a wheel refinisher
> who asked me what color I wanted them painted. I had suggested just
> blasting them and put a clear coat. He said that would not work. He said
> something about it not staying on for more than a few months.
> So now the questions. Why wouldn't it be possible to just clear coat the
> wheel? If it need to be painted, what is the correct color? Can I just
> have them blasted and left unfinished?
> Thanks for sharing your input.
> Deno in CT

       Magnesium will corrode very quickly with no protection.  I once had a
set of wheels stripped and they turned green before I got them painted.
       I would go with powder coating for the longest life.  You may not get
the exact factory shade of silver, but you may like the color you get better.

       This past weekend I was racing at Omaha.  Jack Beck looked at my Alfa
spider and noted a small crack on one of the Campagnolo Daytona wheels.  He
said that magnesium gets brittle after about 20 years use.  So inspect your
wheels carefully.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City