[alfa] engine stands

Hi, All: I wonder if the collective wisdom of the digest can provide me
with some good advice for an engine stand to rebuild a 2l engine...I know
that some are better than others, is there one brand or model that really
shines? Any feature in particular to look for? Any brand or gimmicks to
run the other way from? I am leaning towards a 1000pound unit, not
because our engines are anywhere near 1000#, but because the 750# units
all seem to be a "T" base, and they just don't look very stable to me.
One of the local fellows here has a stand that mounts to the engine mount
bolt pattern, freeing up both  the forward and aft ends of the engine
block...sounds like a good design to me. Thoughts? I know there is a
wealth of experience out there in this vein.  Thanks to all.  Pat Hood in
Seattle, rainy again,  '78 Spider  'Bits o' Berlinas everywhere...need
parts?