Re: [alfa] Re: Refinishing Magnesium Wheels

In a message dated 10/9/03 12:17:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
webb.p@domain.elided writes:

> Aren't magnesium wheels prone to leak if not painted or otherwise treated?
> And I think I read something about them being able to catch fire.
>
> -Peter

Magnesium can be porous, but except for between the beads, I don't see where
painting will help. Magnesium burns at a rather low temperature. If I remember
correctly, old photographic flash bulbs and flash powder were magnesium
composites. I wouldn't worry about wheels bursting into flame at road temperatures.
Tom Faust